Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Hard Times and Healthy Times

Welcome to my world, boring and busy as it may be sometimes. Laundry waiting to be dried, children waiting for dinner and me waiting to be lifted from it all. But today I am smiling because despite the horrible economic news and job losses and such, I am alive, warm and lucky enough to stay home with my kids and dry my clothes in a very big and expensive dryer. Lowered expectations gives me pause for appreciative emotions; a balancing point of sorts. Today though I investigated the differences between recession and depression. Did you know that before the great depression any drop in the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) was considered a depression? G.D.P has several components: consumer spending, private investment, government spending and net exports (exports minus imports). In technical terms: G.D.P. = C + I + G + (X – M). In fact the idea of recession came to mean something less severe only to differentiate downturns less severe that the great one. Where are we headed this time? Time will tell. But despite this grim news we still must work toward health and happiness and sometimes a difficult time propels us toward fast, complete solutions. So good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment